Thursday 15 January 2015

Got something to tell you...

I think you might have picked up that I was thinking of self-publishing StarMark? (For those who don't know, it's a children's novel I wrote some years ago. It landed me an agent for a while and was sent to a few UK publishers but was not deemed either commercial or strong enough to be picked up.)

Well, I need to tell you that I will NOT be self-publishing StarMark.



Because... Dragonfeather Books, an imprint of Bedazzled Ink (a US publisher), have offered me a publishing contract for it!

It's official! My first full length novel for children - StarMark - will be published later this year! 


*pause for squeals of delight, general merriment and champagne*

*happy dancing*

To say that I am excited is an understatement.

I don't think I actually believed that anyone 'official' would ever want to publish me, based on my past record. I thought my only way of being an author was to self-publish, because my novels are apparently 'too nice' and 'not competitive enough for the current market'. Numerous rejections had made me scared to go down the traditional route any more - I hated how that process made me feel.

It was Granny Rainbow who changed everything.

She must've slipped a potion or two into my tea, because not only has she given me the confidence to self-pub a collection of short stories about her, she's also boosted my confidence in the material I write because kids loved her! (And their parents. And grandparents. And teachers.) I didn't need to worry what the 'big boys' thought any more - Granny Rainbow sold - is still selling. (So much so, I'm planning to publish the second collection in the first half of this year.) She made me realise that I could succeed, in a small way, at this writing lark.

If I'm honest, I think I only took the plunge and sent StarMark to Bedazzled Ink because I'd already begun to lay the groundwork to self-publish the novel. I had nothing to lose if it wasn't picked up - and at least I could say I'd tried. However, much to my delight and surprise, BInk said 'yes, please!'

And you know what's amazing about all of it? I came scarily close to leaving StarMark in the drawer I'd put it into after it was turned down.

Something about it kept niggling at me though. I believed in this story - and not just because I'd written it, or because I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, or because I can't tell when to let something go. I'm not that blinkered about what I write. StarMark is a good story, and I believe young readers will enjoy it. That's why I took it out of the drawer, dusted it down, polished it up and sent it off.

So I'd love it if you, dear Scribbles Reader, would join me in a virtual toast to Bedazzled Ink, Dragonfeather Books, and to the start of what I hope will be wonderful future for StarMark.

Cheers!



15 comments:

  1. Cheers indeed Squidge - and well done for your persistence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And cheers to you, Squidgers! I can't tell you how pleased I am for you! Look forward to celebrating your success in March xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delighted for you, Squidge. Brilliant news - cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done sis, look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wheeeeeeee! Well done, Squidge! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such good news Squidge!!! A toast to you and your next book. X x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's just the best news! And a great post, I was really worried there for a moment...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that's so wonderful Katherine, it's proper brought a tear to my eye! Congratulations - persistence pays off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! And you're not the only one, Jackie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great stuff, belief is my new buzzword this year, and you demonstrated why.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great news - it was all worth it!

    ReplyDelete