Wednesday 5 February 2014

Granny Rainbow - getting closer?

A short while back, I wrote that Granny Rainbow was going to be slightly delayed after a decision to tweak some of the illustrations.

Instead of a publication date in January, as I'd originally hoped, it was looking likely to be nearer March before I had real, paper copies in my sweaty mitts. Especially when the printer contacted me to say he needs all the material by the 17th Feb in order to deliver by the 5th March - the day before World Book Day. Well, I need to whisper this so as not to jinx things, but...

*I think we might be on track for the 5th March!* 

The last two redrawn pics are due this weekend, which should give me enough time to add them to the text and let the printer have everything he needs to start formatting.

I can't put into words how this makes me feel. Am I excited? Scared? Difficult to tell. On one hand, it's the culmination of a dream - to have produced a real book with my name on the cover and filled it with my stories. On the other hand, it means it's getting closer to the time I find out whether a) my writing is professional enough to be accepted by the market, b) actually going to be read by the folk I intended it to be read by and c) whether I've made a huge mistake in placing a large order.

I'm not going to fix a launch date until I'm absolutely certain I can meet it - but when I do, you'll be the first to know... 

3 comments:

  1. Way to go! Where will you be selling? Can't wait to buy a copy from you. Very proud of you big sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the moment, copies will have to be bought from me direct, but the local publisher has links with Waterstones (here in town) for the rest of his local interest books. So... there's a slim possibility it could be sold through them, and subsequently ordered through any branch of Waterstones. But I'm not holding my breath on that one!

    Also hoping to approach an indie bookshop who do mail order...anything to avoid the big A! Or direct sell via schools - working on tying up selling books with author visits, but that's all fairy dust at the minute, till I get some hard copies.

    ReplyDelete