Wednesday 15 January 2014

When a character won't do what you want them to.

Yesterday, for the first time since I've begun to write seriously, a character took over my story.

Ani's decided to run away from the situation I've put her in. I was at the point of having her confide in her cousin so she had someone to help, but she was having none of it. She doesn't want to believe what's happening to her and she's scared; she's going to deal with it on her own. By running away.

I don't know yet whether she'll succeed.

I've read about other authors who reckon their characters tell the story and lead it in new directions. Quite frankly, I didn't believe it. I assumed it must be the author's own subconscious trying to alter the storyline.

Well, I believe it now.

And later today, I'm going to ask Ani what she wants to do next...


No comments:

Post a Comment