Sunday 1 September 2013

Rings - has Tolkien cornered the market?

So - a few days ago, I had a very kind rejection from an agent for Rurik. Basically, I was told my writing looked good, but he couldn't see 'rings' selling.

For those who don't know Rurik, the story is about a ring of power that is separated from four other rings (to which it is linked) and hidden by its bearer to prevent the baddie taking all their power for himself; it's up to Rurik, the main character, to find the hidden ring and return it to the rightful owner.

But as soon as I mention 'rings', a phantom rises up to haunt me - Tolkien. I have rings in my story, therefore it's too much like LOTR or The Hobbit.

I don't think so.

But the novel seems to be consistently judged against that one idea. Unfair it may seem - but the agent/publisher has to make money out of my words, so they need a unique selling point. Mind you - how many boy wizard stories followed on from Harry Potter? Or vampiric love stories after Twilight? Or diary-type novels after Diary of a Wimpy Kid? What makes rings so untouchable after Tolkien? Apart from the fact he was a genius and his books are classics, of course.

Anyway - the subject has been broached before, several times and by different people, about changing the rings for some other object of power. I have played with a few ideas, but I keep coming back to rings, mainly because they fit the story - and to be honest, the thought of rewriting to fit a new and different object into the novel fills me with despair. I have edited and rewritten this story so many times - to improve the storyline generally so it became entirely stand-alone instead of the first part of a five-stage quest, to include an agent's suggestions (which once included, they decided they didn't want either the story or me after all), and to act on suggestions received via a professional critique.

I still believe in the story. I think it has legs, even if it IS about rings of power. But the commercial world doesn't seem to think the same.

So what do I do? Stick to my guns and hope that someone, somewhere will see beyond the Tolkien connection? Self-publish and be damned? Give it all up and start something totally new and unique and off-the-wall?

*sigh*

I just don't know what to do for the best...

9 comments:

  1. Yep, I know how that feels. I'm putting off that particular dilemma with all sorts of excuses at the moment because I don't know what the answer is either. But I do know that I love your writing and I love Rurik xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it were me, I'd put Rurik away in a draw (metaphorically speaking) and write something else for two months, something different, different characters, different setting, different everything. Have huge fun with it and don't think of it as anything, just do it for fun. Then I'd look at Rurik again and the answer will come to you.Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going to write Sarah's story, as promised after the 'challenge me' post last month...500 words, to include a snowman, flying elephant and a kiwi. Now THAT's original! :)

      Delete
  3. Squidgers, I can see why you are in a pickle. Personally, I wouldn't touch a mystical ring with a barge pole for the very reasons you have highlighted above. Ring = LOTR ... at a first glance, but if a reader is prepared to scratch the surface and see that this is a very different story with different themes. I wonder if perhaps you could switch the focus from the mystical ring and use Rurik ( I've only met him briefly - but am happy to get to know him better if you feel it would be of benefit, rather than just another opinion)and his journey as your USP. It's just marketing your story from a different angle.
    That having been said, what Sophie says above makes perfect sense. A break away from Rurik might do you some good.
    Chin-up girl. It's just a case of finding an agent who buys into your story and York might just be the place to find one. Good luck, hon. Abi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abi - you've hit the nail on the head! Rurik (and what he discovers about himself) IS the USP. Oh - (spoiler alert!)- and the fact that the rings talk...

      Delete
  4. Katherine. Loads of good advice here. I don't have the answer to your quandry... perhaps it is contained in one of the previous comments... However, LoTR is my favourite book of all time, so I know how difficult it must be when faced with that kind of 'competition' - if that is the right way of putting it... My suggestion, which I believe would solve your problem, and not be too onerous to implement,is to have an 'item' - amulet, etc.. that has five interlocking pieces that do the same job as the rings. They are 'one' when reunited... Any good? You've probably already thought of that and discarded it, but... I think it would do the job. However you resolve it, good luck, you deserve to succeed!! :-)
    Stevie Mark x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stevie Mark - yep, that'd do the trick...but it doesn't feel right to change the ring aspect. I don't want to end up feeling bitter if I had to change that element just to get a slightly increased chance of publication.
      Hey ho! Something will sort itself!

      Delete
  5. More discussion over on the Word Cloud...
    http://writing-community.writersworkshop.co.uk/magazine/read/has-tolkien-ruined-rings-for-writers_7105.html

    ReplyDelete