Thursday 12 September 2013

Can I tell you a secret?

I've a green-eyed monster sitting on my shoulder.

See, the Festival of Writing 'Friday Night Live' shortlist was announced yesterday...and I'm not on it.

Now some of you may be thinking 'Hang on - didn't Katherine tell us that she'd not been shortlisted for either of the competitions a few days ago?' You're right - I did. I was disappointed then, when I thought the deadline had passed and my inbox remained empty. It's just that I've been disappointed all over again, now that it's definitely definite I'm not shortlisted, because the folk who have been are telling us!

Don't get me wrong - I am utterly, utterly delighted to find that at least four - or it might be five - of my fellow cloudies are shortlisted. I know, having read their work, that the standard is therefore very high; they deserve to have been selected. I am looking forward very much to hearing each of them read their 500 words, cheering from the sidelines and trying to choose my favourite to vote for - if I can decide between them!

But there's still that little green-eyed monster, whispering 'wish it was me instead'. I'm owning up to it because that monster ain't going to be allowed to sit where it is for very long. The last thing I want to become is bitter and twisted about my apparent success or lack thereof, because losing is not the same as failing, something Rachael Dunlop wrote about earlier this year regarding competitions.

So - monster begone! Let me learn instead from all the fabulous pieces I'm going to hear. They're all potential winners after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment