Tuesday 20 August 2013

When the words won't come...

The writing commitments are stacking up, but my head isn't in a writing place.

I know there are many writers who would push beyond whatever situation they're in, producing their quota of words every day. 'You're not a writer if you don't write' is a favourite theme of Chuck Wendig's. And he's right - you have to be writing to be a writer.

But after recent events, my brain is mush. It is incapable of doing any more than listing what I need to do - it certainly can't put together a coherent storyline or edit other people's work. Problem is, how long should I leave it before forcing myself to pick up the threads again? Every day I let my writing slide is another day where my skills get rustier and it gets harder to pick up where I left off.

I just don't have the energy at the moment to make things different...


2 comments:

  1. Don't knock yourself down, Squidge, it'll be back before you know it. The enthusiasm, I mean, you can't be everything to all. Remind yourself you're a full-time mum to a poorly child during the summer holidays, so you deserve a well earned rest as well after all that's happened.

    Once things are 'back to normal' whatever that may be? you'll be itching to get back in there. I have had to force myself to stand back a bit these last couple of weeks because my heads been buzzing and come the end of the school hols, I'll be refreshed enough to get in the rhythm again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Squidge - I didn't even begin writing or doing anything creative until after my children had left home. Your son's plight is more than enough for you to have reason not to have mental space to write - it will come back when it rested, stronger than ever.

    ReplyDelete