Thursday 4 July 2013

Rurik. Almost there...

The story I'm working on at the moment is in the final stages of editing - oops! upcycling. I've done a fair few chapters today, but decided to stop, because I've reached the climax and need to reshuffle a few characters around in a vital scene. That requires a lot more brainpower than going through the marked-up manuscript for rampant ellipses and incorrect semi-colons. (I only learnt how to use them properly a few weeks ago! *embaressed*).

If I manage to complete everything by the end of next week, then I can begin to prepare my 3000 word submission for the Festival of Writing in September. There, the start of Rurik's story will be laid bare before both a book doctor and an agent. 

It's a terrifying prospect, because stories are subjective. What you might like to read, I might not. And vice versa. The same goes for the agents; they need to be enthused and bowled over by what I write to sign me up and present the novel to publishers. To date, although I worked with an agent for two years, (we've recently parted company) my first novel 'StarMark' and Rurik haven't been deemed commercial enough to submit. 

Thing is, I'm not writing because I'm after fame or fortune (though I will accept both, graciously, if offered them) - I'm in it for the kids and the love of a good story. I've received good feedback on both novels and am certain that what I've written would appeal to 8-12 year olds, my target audience. 

Fingers crossed that Rurik's story will one day make it onto the page, and to the youngsters it was written for.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the terrifying prospect of preparing 3000 words for FOW 2013. I'm almost at that point myself and will be submitting a chunk of my book too. It does sound like that agent wasn't a good fit in the end x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the 1-2-1's last year, and it wasn't too bad, as I was doing it with the knowledge that I had an agent. This year's a bit different - there's more riding on it, somehow.

    ReplyDelete