Sunday 28 July 2013

Redefining 'Finished'.

Earlier this month, I set myself five things to do, writing-wise, before the year end. One of them was to self publish Granny Rainbow - and I said at the time I'd completed three of her stories.

Ahem. *embaressed face*

Today, I've actually finished those same three stories. And by finished, I mean formatted identically and absolutely, definitely, not-going-to-be tweaked-again, finished.

As a result of the work done today, I realised my previous definitions were a little misleading to myself.

Drafted actually meant 'I've jotted a load of ideas down in a roughly logical order with a few snippets of potential conversations, to mould into a better shape, later.'

Finished actually meant 'It's pretty much there, but some tweaking still required.'

So how do I define the stage I reached today? Polished? Completed? The Terminal Version? (Good title for a thriller, methinks! Shame I don't write that kind of book...) Whatever phrase or word I end up using, it means the stories can be put aside to work on something else, because I'm satisfied that they are 99.999% the best they can be.

That's a stage I'm very happy to have reached. After all - no-one's 100 % perfect...

2 comments:

  1. Well you're definitely a good task master to yourself, Squidge, what with fin...er...err!whatever it is you're gonna call it. But hey, now you've set yourself another task to replace that one, viz the 'challenge me' thingy. You don't do things by halves do you? best of luck with it anyway. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Thought I ought to keep myself busy, Baz! I'll keep you posted...

      Delete