Monday 22 July 2013

Here comes the climax.

I promised myself some writing time today, as I've got the house (and laptop) to myself.

So I spent the morning cleaning, to put off the moment where I had to tackle the problematic climax.

It's been a little difficult, to say the least. My baddie was advised to undergo a bit of a personality change, which meant losing a particular character trait (and a fair bit of his dialogue) because it didn't 'fit' the new persona. And of course, the baddie features a lot in the climax. I also had to be very careful about a 'shock-horror, who is this other person who's popped up to put a spanner in the works?' moment, which could have seemed too...convenient...if I wasn't careful. And there's nothing I hate reading, more than a convenient moment in a story; it has to be a plausible, wholly believable moment.

The climax has been cut and repasted and recut and restitched - but I think I'm done.

Now all I have to do is sit on it a bit, before reading through to make sure it all hangs together in the cold light of day.

Right - on to the next job. An opening chapter for York. Wish me luck - I'm thinking of writing something brand spanking new, which all starts with a tomato...

Perhaps I'll find something else to clean, instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment