Wednesday 10 July 2013

5 things to do, writing-wise, before the year ends...

1. Get Rurik ready for York - the new prologue and first few chapters are pretty much oven ready.

2. Submit Rurik to agents - there are a couple of scenes which need to be rewritten, but I'm confident I have the outlines in place. Just feel ridiculously scared to send him out again...

3. Self-publish Granny Rainbow - I'm aiming to have at least seven short stories in a collection. I have three stories finished, another four drafted (though 'Granny Rainbow goes green' is giving me a few headaches), and I've lined up an illustrator.

4. Plot ideas for a new children's book - it will be about a famous event that happened in my home town some two hundred years ago, and will ideally be published alongside  a 'grown-up' book about the same event, which I'm helping to edit.

5. Be more disciplined about how often I write - I leave my current employment on Friday, so theoretically I should have more free time after the summer hols.



10 comments:

  1. An admirable list - best of luck with it, but from your tone I'm sure you'll succeed without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good list of aims. Are you setting mini-goals along the way or seeing how it pans out with the extra time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If anyone can do it, you can, K!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the support, guys!
    Sandra - I'm a bit worried I'll just fill all that extra time with other 'stuff'!
    Shell - yes, there'll be mini-goals too. That was one thing I was taught in my previous incarnation as a microbiologist, and it helps make a big job seem much more achievable.
    Steve - dunno! I've got to teach myself all the formatting malarkey as well:Granny Rainbow may take a fair while longer to see the light of day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good targets, i'll be checking ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what is the 'formatting malarky' you have to learn? If you've got techie problems message me Barny on writersworkshop cloud, happy to help if I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barny - hullo! Another cloudie to join the party. Thanks for the offer of help - I'm not very good at translating what I read in instructions to the computer, so I will definitely call on you if - nope, that should be WHEN! - I get to that point.

      Delete
  7. Hi, Squidge, that's a fantastic idea and I'm sure you CAN do all those things. As you mentioned illustrating I thought I'd send you this link which, if you haven't already been there, is a great insight. Keep up the good work and all the best for, Granny Rainbow. x

    http://www.notesfromtheslushpile.com/2013/06/is-there-book-lurking-in-your-head-asks.html

    ReplyDelete